Saturday 16 January 2010

First 10 miler of 2010...

... and my God I struggled! I limped home after 1 hour 53mins. I had to stop and walk about 5 or 6 times throughout the run but at least I got out there and did it, was kind of dreading it as it's been about 5 or 6 weeks since I did my last 10 miles.

Luckily I had Helen on hand to run with. She's not even running the marathon but is happy to train with me (nutter)! I think we had a moment at about 7 or 8 miles in when we both had a sudden burst of energy and good humour and decided to belt out whatever it was we were listening to on our ipods. Mine was (Your love keeps lifting me) Higher & Higher by Jackie Wilson, Hels has promised to sing this to me from the sidelines when she comes to watch me in April. A definite pick-me-up.

The best bit about this morning's run was definitely the rain though. I really would love it to be raining on marathon day. I realise that this makes it fairly rubbish for supporters, but it makes running so much more bearable, keeping you cool. For all my friends that ran the Edinburgh marathon last year in 28 degrees sunshine, I have no idea how they finished. Actually I have no idea how they finished anyway, but in that heat! Wow.

So I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for more rain next weekend when I tackle 12 miles. If it could clear up and the sun start shining at about 11am though that would be good, who do I need to ask to make this possible?

2 comments:

  1. I love that bit about a third of the way in of a long run when you actually start enjoying running. But I hate the moment after when that energy runs out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah there's the first couple of miles which are always awful and then it gets easier and more relaxed then you get a high and then you crash!

    ReplyDelete