Tuesday 19 January 2010

Week two of training begins...

...and it damn near killed me tonight. Ok killed me may be a very slight exaggeration but I nearly fainted and that's almost dying isn't it?

The idea of the Tuesday runs is to take 15% off of my marathon mile time so I run faster than normal but in short distances to get used to running a faster pace and therefore run faster on the day. So today was only 4 x 1200m circuits.

You know that feeling you get when you feel dizzy and you're not sure whether you want to be sick or use the toilet (too much information?) well anyway yeah that was circuit 3 out of 4. How embarrassing.

Now I could have been down to the fit bloke that we had just run past (I would kind of rather it was to be honest) but no, it's because it turns out I had wrongly calculated how fast I should have been running and therefore I was running an 8 minute mile pace. I should have been aiming for around a 10 minute mile pace. I can tell you now that there is absolutely no chance that I could run any 8 minute mile on marathon day let alone have an average pace of 8 minutes per mile! The start line would still be within sight if I tried that believe me!

Anyway long story short, I nearly fainted, I have pulled a calf muscle, I can't stop coughing but I'm alive. Hurrah! Just hope the calf sorts itself out for the 5 mile run on Thursday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment