Tuesday 9 March 2010

17 miles. Done.

Whoop whoop!!! Should have actually written this on Saturday straight after I'd finished, when I felt like I could conquer the world! That feeling may since have disappeared but I can just about hold onto the distant memory of it. It was painful I'm not going to lie to myself and I definitely won't do that distance again with only 250mls water, but confidence was well and truly boosted!

In total it took 3hrs and 1 minute, but I am pretty sure I could have done it under 3 hrs if I'd had more water. Not that I am putting any more time pressure on myself, as I am over that now and just want to complete the damn marathon in the end. Who cares how long it takes. Well OK I'm not quite over it and I do still care a little bit, but I know I have to stop caring and just try and enjoy it.

Anyway, the good news is that my hip definitely felt better than it ever has at long distance, the pain did come and when it was with me it did reduce me to a walk or a limp for a while, but the difference was that the pain eased off and then disappeared, so it came and went throughout the run and instead of starting to hurt at 8 miles as per usual it was from 10 miles. I'm guessing the Osteopath must have eased the IT band at the hip, which had been so bruised for the week. So more good news in that I'm seeing him again on Thurs this week, so possibly it could get even better (I can but wish!!!)

The other thing that happened since I last blogged, was I bought myself some new trainers, which now need to be tried out and worn in. Just been out for 4 miles this evening, trying them out and they definitely felt different. Will try them again for a longer run on Thursday and see how they feel, in preparation for the Kilomathon I'm running Sunday. Yep that's right 26.2 kilometres (just over 16 miles) from Nottingham to Derby. The upside is if I complete it I get a medal. The downside is I received the start pack in the post and it's all a bit serious (the first words of the pack being 'This is NOT a fun run or for walkers'). Never mind, I am gagging for a medal right now, it feels ridiculous running these long distances every weekend and not getting anything to show for it! So on that note, spare a thought for my training partner Hels, who isn't running with me this weekend and therefore still won't get a medal for all her hard work!!! Just my gratitude will have to do for her then.

No comments:

Post a Comment